A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams- This is my absolute favorite adult beach read of 2013. I loved the time period, the drama, and the beach community. This one is highly recommended.
The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig- Fans of historical fiction will love this family saga that spans many years and deals with family secrets.
A Spear of Summer Grass by Deanna Raybourn- This historical read has everything that a beach read should have: a gorgeous setting, a feisty heroine, a sexy love interest and some mystery, too!
Dare You To by Katie McGarry - This novel is the sequel to Pushing the Limits, but be read as a stand-alone. It's possesses the perfect opposites attract type of relationship that many of us crave in a good beach read.
Golden by Jessi Kirby- This novel is one of my favorite books of the year. The focus isn't on romance (for once!), but instead this coming-of-age tale deals with self-discovery. Plus, there's some Robert Frost!
The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen- This novel doesn't focus too much on love, but rather the main character's place in the world and that one important summer where you find yourself at crossroads.
If You Want to be Swept Away:
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter- I know this novel was popular last summer, but the paperback just came out. It would be perfect to bring along to the beach or pool this year, especially if you are looking for a smart read. Did I mention part of it takes place on the coast of Italy?
All the Summer Girls by Meg Donohue- This novel is one of my favorite 2013 beach reads of the year. It's about three girlfriends, deep-rooted secrets, and it takes place in Avalon, my favorite beach town. The descriptions of Avalon are perfect and I felt like I was there.
On the Island by Tracy Garvis-Graves- I know this novel was popular last year, but for some reason I never got around to it. Boy, am I glad I did this year and I highly recommend it. It deals with being stranded on an island and a whirlwind romance, which equates to beach read perfection.
And even though my "Summer Kickoff" feature is over, the fun doesn't end! You can plan on me reviewing the following beach reads this summer, plus a few other novels I've been meaning to read. If you want to learn more about these books, click the title and it will take you to its Goodreads page.
My 2013 Summer Reading List:
1. Five Summers by Uma LaMarche - This one takes place at summer camp. Need I say more?
2. True by Erin McCarthy- A "new adult" romance? Sign me up!
3. The Rose Throne by Mette Ivie Harrison - I could use a good fantasy as I don't read many during the summertime.
4. Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar - I've heard so many good things about this book and I am finally picking up this surfing story.
5. The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton DiSclafani - This novel has been getting a lot of publicity, so I am excited to see what it's all about.
6. The Lake House by Marci Nault - Sounds like a great beach read!
7. Beautiful Day by Elin Hilderbrand - I read my first Hilderbrand novel last month (shocking, I know!) and I'm hoping this one is just as good.
8. The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines - This seems like great mind candy for the a hot summer day.
9. The Boys of Summer by C.J. Duggan - I couldn't resist!
10. Spies and Prejudice by Talia Vance - I love Pride and Prejudice and am very interested in this adaption.
11. Call Me Zelda by Erika Robuck - I adored Hemingway's Girl and can't wait to check out this novel focusing on Zelda Fitzgerald.
12. Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers - I have been meaning to read this one for awhile now! Everyone says I will love it since I am a huge historical fiction fan.
13. Tarnish by Katherine Longshore - Gilt was one of my favorite young adult historical reads last year, so when they asked me to be apart of this blog tour, I immediately said yes. I love that this read focuses on Anne Boleyn.
14. The White Princess (Cousins' War #5) by Philippa Gregory - Gregory is one of my favorite authors and I can't wait to read this fifth installement of the Cousins' War series. It will get me so excited for The White Queen TV show which comes out in August.
15. If I Should Die (Revenants #3) by Amy Plum - I'm scared to see how this series ends, but I've heard good things! I am saving this one to read while on vacation.
16. The Elite (The Selection #2) by Keira Cass - This series is so much fun---perfect for summertime!
17. Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler - It seems I can't get enough of Zelda this summer.
So, what do you guys think of my 2013 Picks for Beach Reads and my Summer Reading List? Have you read any of these books? Any books you think I should add? Let me know.