This week's topic is books that were hard for me to read. I chose to go with books that made me a bit uncomfortable as I was reading them or books that took me out of my comfort zone, because they dealt with serious issues or had characters that were abrasive. Either way, some of these books are on my favorite list for sure!
1. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - Don't get me wrong. I love this book, but there were some major cringe-worthy moments and I definitely put this book down a few times. If you read this book, you know what I am talking about. Nonetheless, it's one of my top ten favorite books.
2. Dreamland by Sarah Dessen - This story is about abuse and it really broke my heart.
3. Summer on the Short Bus by Bethany Crandell - I enjoyed this book, but the main character is an extremely ignorant person, so I had a hard time with a few of her comments regarding people with disabilities.
4. Tempting Fate by Jane Green - I also enjoyed this book, but it deals with cheating. Sometimes that's a tough pill to swallow; however, that didn't deter me from enjoying this beach read!
5. Undone by Cat Clarke - Gosh, I loved this book, but it was sad as it deals with suicide. I definitely sobbed. Many times.
6. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - This book broke my heart. Cue all the tears.
7. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - I also loved this book, but it was so deeply disturbing and I sort of loathed both main characters.
8. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank - I absolutely love Anne's diary. Her words are so profound and moving. It truly makes me sad to think about what she and her family went through, along with many other Jewish people living during that time.
9. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan - There are zombies. Need I say more? I really don't read many "horror" books, so this one scared the pants off me.
10. Miles From Ordinary by Carol Lynch Williams- This is such a well-written story, but the main character's home life is a sad one as a parent has a mental illness. Some parts were definitely tough to read.
So, which books were hard for you to read? Let me know what you think of my list! This